Stained Glass Window Cookies are so impressive looking, and you’ll be surprised how easy they are to make! Our custom cookie cutters make it even easier! Surprise your loved ones with these gorgeous cookies this Valentine’s Day!
Stained Glass Window Cookies
(Basic recipe is our Springerle Butter Cookie Recipe)
- 250 gm butter at room temperature ((2 sticks + 1 Tablespoon))
- 150 gm confectioner’s sugar ((1/3 lb))
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 450 gm all-purpose flour ((1 lb))
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Jolly Ranchers™ candy cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Mix butter, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract until it becomes a creamy mixture. Add the egg and mix again very well. Add the flour and salt and mix or knead by hand until you form a beautiful and cohesive dough.
- Dust the surface of your counter and rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of approximately 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch. (If your dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate it 15-30 minutes.)
- Dust the surface of your dough and your cookie mold #5108 with flour. Press the mold into the dough just far enough down to fill the mold cavity. Remove your mold and cut out the cookie using cutter #17268. You do not need to brush off the excess flour on the top of your cookie.
- Place your cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Chill your cookie sheet full of molded cookies for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Take your cookie sheet out of the fridge and immediately place it in the center rack of a preheated 325 degree F (160 degree C) oven.
- Bake your cookies for 10 minutes. Open your oven and place a previously-cut piece of Jolly Rancher candy in the center heart opening of the cookie. (There is no need to crush the candy.) Bake for an additional 5 minutes. The candy will melt and fill the empty center heart “window”.
- Remove the cookies and let cool on the parchment paper. Do not try to remove the cookies until they have completely cooled.
Tip: Do not put the Jolly Rancher candy piece in the center of the cookie until the last 5 minutes of baking. If the candy is left in the oven longer than 5 minutes, it will boil over and spill onto the cookie impression.
Jolly Rancher is a trademark of The Hershey Company.