One of our favorite signs that spring has returned is to just listen to the melodic songs of the birds. The pleasantness of the cheerful chirping and singing inspires us to bake – but then again, when aren’t we in the mood to bake?! For this blog post, we are celebrating our little feathered friends with our Butter Cookie Recipe topped with brightly colored fondant birds made from our Two Birds springerle cookie mold. And if we are going to have birds, then we’ve got to have nests! Our Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies complement our springerle butter cookies nicely. The combination of birds, nests, and jelly bean “eggs”, makes our bird tablescape complete!
We used our Two Birds springerle cookie mold to make colored marshmallow fondant impressions that top our delicious butter cookies. Our custom cookie cutter fits this mold perfectly and adds a beautiful scalloped edge to the fondant impression. These cookies are so easy to make and so flavorful that they won’t last long! The brightly colored marshmallow fondant toppers are painted with white food coloring to bring out the details of this beautiful impression. To adhere the fondant toppers to the butter cookie, brush a light coating of corn syrup to the back of the fondant impression. Gently place the fondant impression on top of the butter cookie and let it dry for a couple of hours. Check out our Marshmallow Fondant Recipe here! We added food coloring gels to our fondant to get our nice bright colors.
To add another dimension to our bird-friendly table, we also used our same Two Birds cookie mold to make traditional springerle cookies. The details in these cookies are just amazing! They are almost too pretty to eat – almost! Try our Classic Springerle Cookie Recipe and see for yourself.
Give those birds a home! Compliment your Springerle Butter Cookies and your Classic Springerle Cookies with Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies. Quick and easy to make, Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies are a simple addition to enhance your bird-themed cookie platter.
Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies not only smell amazing, but the texture and chewiness of the coconut sends us into a blissful state! The sweetened condensed milk keeps these cookies ultra moist and the vanilla and almond flavorings compliment each other well. For such an easy cookie to make, coconut macaroon nest cookies pack in a lot of flavor!
Just mix all of the ingredients together until combined, drop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, use a wooden tart rod to make the “nest”, and bake. It couldn’t be simpler. It’s amazing how good something can taste with such little effort! Fill with a few jelly beans and you’re done!
- 1 (14 ounce) bag of sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon almond oil OR ½ teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Using a cookie/ice cream scoop (about 1/4 cup), scoop out mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Make impression in the center by pressing down the center of the cookie dough mound and shape each one into the shape of a nest. You can use your hands or we used a wooden tart shaper.
- Refrigerate until the dough is firm (about 1 hour).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for approximately 15-18 minutes. The coconut should be slightly toasted. Remove and cool. Fill the center with your favorite jelly bean or chocolate Easter eggs.
Springerle Joy cookie molds and other products used in this article:
Other Springerle Joy Cookie Molds you may like: