Molded Cheese Impressions
- 1 lb Fontina or other semi-hard cheese
- Wasa® brand crackers
- Slice the Fontina into one ounce pieces.
- Place one piece on microwave-safe plate. Soften the piece of cheese in the microwave on High for about 10 seconds. Do not melt the cheese. The cheese will be oily at this point. This is OK.
- Press the cheese slice in a deep springerle mold with the cavity facing upward.
- Flip the cheese and mold so the cavity now faces downward. Press the cheese and mold on a flat surface, such as a counter to flatten the back of the image.
- Remove the cheese from the mold. (You can coax it out with a toothpick on the edge of the mold cavity.)
- Lay the molded cheese impression on a plate.
- Repeat the process.
- Chill the cheese impressions until ready to use. The oil in the cheese will disappear upon chilling.
- Wrap the Wasa crackers individually in damp paper towels and microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Allow the crackers to rest wrapped in the towels for a couple of minutes until the crackers are slightly soft.
- Cut the softened crackers to shapes to fit the shapes of your cheese impressions.
- Top the crackers with the cheese impressions and serve.
Springerle Joy Blog http://blog.springerlejoy.com/