Cream Cheese Mints are something that many of us grew up with. They traditionally have been served at weddings, baby showers, and other celebrations. Why not New Year’s Eve?
Your holiday guests will love them topped on our Chocolate Cookie (see recipe below). These mint toppings made with our springerle molds are a wonderful alternative to fondant. They taste fabulous and literally melt in your mouth. We used three of our festive springerle cookie molds: Happy New Year, Snow Crystal and Giving is Joy to create these refreshing treats.
There are just two tricks when making these impressions:
- Make sure your springerle cookie mold is dusted well with powdered sugar. This is a must. The mint fondant will stick to your mold and will not release easily if the mold is not sufficiently covered in powdered sugar.
- Make sure the dough is cold. This makes handling and molding much easier.
We hope you have a festive New Year.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until well combined.
- Dust the surface of your counter and rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of approximately 3/8 inch. (If your dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate it 15-30 minutes.)
- Using your preferred cookie cutter, cut out the desired shape for the base of your cookie.
- Place your cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (160 degree C) oven. Bake your cookies for 10 minutes until set. Do not over bake.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (full-fat, not Neufchatel)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract (or any other flavoring you choose)
- Gel food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for molding mints
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. (You can also use a food processor.) Mix until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix again until smooth.
- Add the mint extract (or other flavorings) and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually, add the remaining powdered sugar. Mix until smooth in texture. Color if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm enough to handle.
- Place mold image-side up. Dust liberally with powdered sugar. Press a small amount of dough into the mold, making sure all the cavities are filled.
- Remove the fondant impression from the mold and place on wax paper. Let impressions dry for a couple of hours to harden before placing on top of the cookies.
Springerle Joy products used in this article: