Hop into Spring with these fun and colorful butter bunny cookies with tangy, fruity Jell-O flavoring. Quick to make, they’re a perfect project to do with children and grandchildren. Our Rabbit in Round springerle cookie mold and Custom Cutter 17288 made a perfect image to introduce spring. (We saw three bunnies on a walk this week.) After a long, very cold winter in Pittsburgh, we can’t wait for spring to begin!
These brightly colored cookies are sure to put you in a good mood.
We adapted our Springerle Joy Butter Cookie Recipe by adding a couple extra ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry: Jell-O and food gel coloring.
- 250 gm butter at room temperature (2 sticks + 2 Tablespoons)
- 150 gm confectioner's sugar (1/3 lb)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 450 gm all-purpose flour (1lb)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 (3 oz.) packages of Jell-O (flavors of your choice. We used lemon, lime, cherry and orange.)
- Food coloring gel (optional)
- Mix butter, confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract until a creamy mixture. Add the egg and mix again very well. Add the flour and salt and and mix or knead by hand until you form a beautiful and cohesive dough.
- Divide the dough into four sections (approx. 225 gm each). Sprinkle two Tablespoons of Jell-O powder onto each section and knead the dough until combined. You can add a few drops of food coloring gel to boost the color if desired.
- Dust the surface of your counter and rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of approx. 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch. (If your dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate it 15-30 minutes.)
- Dust the surface of your dough and your cookie mold with flour. Press the mold into the dough just far enough down to fill the mold cavity. Dust off any flour that appears on the impression.
- Place your cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Chill your cookie sheet full of molded cookies about 1/2 hour in the fridge.
- Take your cookie sheet out of the fridge and immediately place it on the center rack of a preheated 325 degree F (160 degree C) oven. Bake your cookies about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies. Remove the cookies when the bottoms are just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Yield: Approximately 30 3-inch diameter cookies.
- Be sure to dust any flour off your cookie impression BEFORE placing in refrigerator. Otherwise the flour will visible after baking.
- Jell-O is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods.